Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fruit bats in Alaska?

Maybe the long Alaskan winters are getting to us.

I call my Youngest "my little fruit bat". She LOVES to eat fruit. While most kids crave sweets or carbohydrates, my little Pixie is always asking for fruit. Bananas, oranges, apples are currently our fruit staples during winter. But she's getting a little bored with the menu.

Youngest: Mom, next summer, could we PLEASE grow some fruit in our garden?
Me: Do you mean berries?
Y: Not just berries, lots and lots of fruit, like cherries, peaches, pears -- you know!
Me: But fruit trees don't survive our Alaska winters. Sorry!
Y: Ooops, I forgot! (Pause)

Y: Mom, can a human survive on just fruit?
Me: Not here in Alaska, but I suppose, if you include nuts, you probably could -- strictly speaking nuts are seeds...
Y: Yeah, I would like living on a tropical island: coconuts, pineapple, mangoes...
Me: ...papayas, jackfruit...
Y: What' that?
Me: I think we need a fieldtrip to Hawaii...

photocredit: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/caribbean/wildlife-facts/2005/wildlife-facts_images_2005/jamaican_fruit_bat.jpg

No comments: